Monday, August 28, 2006

Comps/Loan

So I heard a tentative date for my comprehensive exams. This isn't confirmed, but I heard it from another grad student who I have my MWF class with (and whose session will be right after mine). He said he saw me down for Friday, September 15th at 1pm. That gives me a time frame with which to work. About two and a half weeks. It works great because I get to have a feel as to the professors' general mood, while not having to dread it for too long. Plus now I have a finite timeframe with which to study and can guide my studies much better. That will be life between now and then.

Oh, and I got my loan check in the mail today. I won't go on blurting out how much it was for all to see (if you want to know, and know how to get in touch with me off the blog...just let me know). I fought getting the loan--to a fault, but when the University can't seem to figure how to pay it's graduate students for a month--long story, it was something I needed to go ahead and suck up. It was odd getting a check for that much in the mail, and it was particularly odd getting a check for that much with just a Pittney-Bowles type 37 cent stamp on it (apparently the actual cost to ship was 37 cents, not the standard 39...but whatever).

So I can get that in the bank tomorrow (I'll split it between checking and a fairly liquid investment fund) and can finally begin paying back those to whom I owe money before they break my legs as collateral (folks like my credit card companies, and mom).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right about the broken leg. I can be scarier than the credit card company.
Love
Mom