Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Running on empty

The last time I filled up my gas tank (before this afternoon) was Sunday afternoon. That doesn't sound like a long time, but that was in Bay St. Louis, MS (for reference, that is on the MS Gulf Coast, and I am a county and a half due south of the Tennessee state line). During this stretch, I went from Bay St Louis into New Orleans, across the Lake Ponchartrain Causeway (because I'm a geek, I admit it), over to Hammond to pick up I-55, then I-55 up to Batesville (this is nearly all the way up Mississippi, and across fourteen Mississippi counties and a couple of Louisiana Parishes). Then I went into work today, back home at lunch, then back home at around three to check on something, THEN about halfway back before finally putting something in because my needle was below "E". All told, this was nearly 441 miles. Figuring on a 15 gallon tank, that means nearly 30mpg. This is good because gas prices are on the rise ($3.19/gal. at the BP and Texaco stations at Lamar and Hwy. 6). Here are a couple of pictures, first my console showing the location of my needle and the tripometer (and no low gas light came on, so I could have gotten more, but I doubt it would have gotten my all-time record of 483 miles on a tank). The second is a picture I snagged of Lake Ponchartrain from the twenty five mile causeway. This one isn't as good, but you can see that there is a lot of water out there. When you get on you can't see the other shore, but on a clear day (like Sunday was) there is a point when you can see both shores at once (about twelve miles along...the halfway point or so). ENJOY!

2 comments:

KSG said...

Just you wait until you get over the Chesapeake Bridge Tunnel going from Virginia Beach up the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Make sure someone else is driving so you can see the enoronmus Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean. Make sure you stop at the fishing pier and walk around.
Love,
Mom

Our Philosophy said...

Yo.