Saturday, May 13, 2006

We got married in a fever, hotter than a pepper sprout...

Again, the post title is a line from a song, relevant (somewhat) to the subject matter. The song is "Jackson", a duet featuring Johnny Cash and (at the time--they weren't yet married) June Carter, particularly I'm thinking about the version sung live at Folsom Prison in 1968.

Remember what I said a couple of days ago about my pepper plants being droopy? Well, when I put then back in the sun the next day, they had already exploded (particularly in terms of leaf size). They had grown about about an linear inch, then a couple of the leaves at the bottom of each plant (cayanne, and bell both) had about doubled in aeral size. They're still going on the fertilizer that was in the potting soil, and I've watered them probably just once because every couple of days--including about 6:30 this morning--we get a decent rain through and everytime I finger test the soil (stick finger in to see how moist the soil is), it doesn't feel like it needs watering and the plants never look droopy from a lack of moisture. They're even beginning to start sprouting (now if only I can attract some bees)! They should be putting out peppers in mid-July.

No comments: