Monday, May 01, 2006

Ground Control to Major Tom

It's a song (by David Bowie), but it has nothing to do with this posting other than that I'm listening to it as I type, unlike my last movie reference.

This semester is steadily winding down. I talked with Dr. Weber today about the final project, the final exam, and his portion of the comprehensive exams. I'm supposed to get an outline of my Intro to GIS course (taken as an undergraduate) and my Transport Geography course (taking now) then go over it with him. He said he'll be here in June so he didn't seem to think there was a huge rush (particularly since I don't plan on studying until July) since I'm in the midst of dead week/finals. I have my Intro to GIS notes around somewhere, but I took that in Spring 2003, so I have no clue where they might be. Fortunately, a girl I work with took the class last semester and said she'd give me her notebook (both she and Dr. Weber said that the course didn't change much, and besides, it's likely he'll ask more recent stuff anyway), as well as the comprehensive outline she typed up. I'll do my own, but it's always good to have something else to help guide. She also gave me her GY500 notebook which helped IMMENSELY and probably helped me get an A on the mid-term (she took it last spring). As for Dr. Seth (Appiah-Opoku) and Dr. Richetto, I haven't talked with them yet about details, but I'll get to them by week's end.

So once I get through this paper on an ongoing transport project, I can start studying for finals. They are as follows:

GY-500-->Take-Home due by the end of the scheduled exam period (Wednesday night I believe), and available now --though I haven't yet picked it up. Two essays. One required, one a choice of two.

GY-532-->Wednesday 8:00-10:30

GY-566-->Monday 8:00-10:30.

So I'll be done by Wednesday afternoon at the latest (depending on when I finish my GY-500 exam). Then I can start focusing on Africa. Hooray!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hey, when are you leaving and getting back? And what exactly will you be doing?

Kenny said...

Leaving May 24th from Atlanta (via Prattville)
Arriving June 12th to Atlanta (via Amsterdam). I'll send an e-mail out in a couple of weeks with plane and hotel iteneraries.

The course is "Field Studies in Africa". It's really somewhat of an independent studies course (I get 6 credit hours!). I'm gearing my studies in the course toward Transportation Planning (some of their problems from an American planner's perspective, and what we as Americans can learn from it). I'm not 100% sure yet, but I'll chat with my professor about it later this week (along with chatting about comps).