Thursday, January 11, 2007

First Post in a While

I don't post frequently because my life is boring. Kerry has a two year old child and is expecting another one soon. Kelly takes frequent trips to Washington and other exciting places to visit and/or with that RP character. I go to class, and write papers.

I am now about four days into my new assistantship. Things seem to be going smoothly. I have an office with only one other person having an office on this floor, a desk, a phone. It's almost like the real world...though I should be so lucky next year to actually have an office. I've mainly been setting up my computer/office like I want it, then updating the office's website (http://bama.ua.edu/~landmgt/). It is giving me experience in two other pieces of software, so no complaints.

I did get a first draft on my first non thesis paper turned in. I'm sick of reading the paper, but I did manage to get it to the initial maximum range my first reader suggested (he said 20-25 pages). I'm meeting with him on Friday to discuss, among other things, the status of that paper and what I need to do with the next draft. Other things I'm discussing with him:
  1. Logistics of my second paper
  2. My directed readings course

My one and only formal class only meets Tuesday nights, so I still have a few days until I can report on that. I got an e-mail from Dr. Webster about general things (it was sent to all grad students). He mentioned something about GY-500 for the current class. I had flashbacks. I'm glad that class is over.

I am ready to be done. I'm about 80% sure I'll walk in May sort of completing the cycle of the Gilbert siblings. That depends on my job situation.

That is all for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do have an exciting life. You get to go to Prattville and see you aging parents. Come to see us next weekend and you'll get to see our new car and meet your new sibling.
Love,
Mom

Kenny said...

Only if you promise to have peanut brittle available! (There should be a couple of cold dry days between now and then, so says the Weather Channel).

Kelly said...

Mmm, peanut brittle.

You should post those non-thesis papers! I like to read them.

Kenny said...

It'll be March to April before I post them. I wouldn't want you to have to see the "junk" I have right now.

Speaking of which, I meet with a professor today about my first paper. (I think he's going to suggest I present it at a geographer's meeting in Tuskegee this year).