Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Matthew Fontaine Maury

So I have gone through about three "read out louds" of my paper on Maury. The paper requirement was 5-7 pages. With my references page, I have fourteen. No kidding! I don't really think I can take anything out. A lot of the early biographical items set up for why he ended up contributing to Geography, which is what the key part of the paper is. I have yet to digitally fix it yet, but my first paper draft has all sorts of comments of mine on it. I'll have it converted to PDF format and posted here tomorrow night after I get in from class on my webspace (what's the point of paying $5/mo. for webspace if you can't actually use the allotted bandwidth?).

An expert on Maury? Hardly. But I do really now want to learn much more about him. This man from northern Virginia really did help to change the course of the world, and nearly ended up occupying a house just about a block and a half away from where I'll be turning the paper in tomorrow night (Farrah Hall in relation to the President's Mansion).

Oh, Kelly, I used your photo in my paper when talking about Monument Ave. I even gave credit! ("Picture of Maury Monument in Richmond courtesy my sister, Kelly Gilbert, who lives and works in Richmond.")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have probably just learned that the more you know about something, the more there is to know. Maybe with your paper, the University will realize that Maury was a part of the University and name something in the Geography Dept after him.
Love
Mom

Our Philosophy said...

I had no idea he had anything to do with Alabama.

Kenny said...

I doubt that with this paper that the University would do anything with it. However, I do think it might be interesting to expand this paper into a non-thesis paper. I easily could have done that with this one. I mean, I believe a non-thesis paper should be 20-25 pages. I just wonder if there would be a problem with a non-thesis paper being on an historical figure. I don't see why it would be. At the very least, I could present an expanded version at SEDAAG in Morgantown in November, maybe even have an expanded published at some point. We'll see.